May 18, 2011

Book Review of "Linger" by Maggie Stiefvater


Title: Linger (Wolves of Mercy Falls #2)
Author: Maggie Stiefvater
Classification: YA Fiction, Paranormal
Source: Bought


Overall Grade: 
A
I thought...
Maggie Stiefvater is my favorite person.



Add to Goodreads | Order from Amazon
__________________________________________________________________

Summary (from Goodreads):

In Maggie Stiefvater's Shiver, Grace and Sam found each other.  Now, in Linger, they must fight to be together. For Grace, this means defying her parents and keeping a very dangerous secret about her own well-being. For Sam, this means grappling with his werewolf past . . . and figuring out a way to survive into the future. Add into the mix a new wolf named Cole, whose own past has the potential to destroy the whole pack.  And Isabelle, who already lost her brother to the wolves . . . and is nonetheless drawn to Cole.

At turns harrowing and euphoric, Linger is a spellbinding love story that explores both sides of love -- the light and the dark, the warm and the cold -- in a way you will never forget.

__________________________________________________________________

My Thoughts:

I'm officially a Maggie Stiefvater fan-girl. I absolutely love her lyrical writing and the ability she has to create emotion on every page.

The characters in this series continue to amaze me! Not only are Grace, Sam and Isabelle explored further, but we also meet the tortured and seriously-hot Cole. Cole is my new favorite! I loved his interesting story and his struggle to abandon his painful past in favor of a future without human emotion. I loved his relationship with Isabelle, as well. What a couple, huh?!

Linger just might have been better than Shiver. Probably because of the addition of Cole and the constant shift in POV from Grace, Sam, Isabelle and Cole. Some people don't like this, but I loved getting into the heads of characters that I have grown to love so much.

Although there have been some complaints about Linger being more slow-moving than Shiver, I didn't mind the pace at all. I found myself savoring each paragraph as I heard each character's story. Stiefvater is so amazing at making every sentence lyrical and interesting.

The only complaint that I have about this series in general is the use of the wolves howling. It seemed like too many chapters were ended with "And then the wolves began to howl." Yes, it's a poignant and appropriate ending, but I started to get sick of it after awhile.

A great sequel to one of my favorite paranormal series ever! Can't wait to read their conclusion in Forever (The Wolves of Mercy Falls #3) out July 12th, 2011!
__________________________________________________________________

Overall Grade: 
A
I thought...
Maggie Stiefvater is my favorite person.

Add to Goodreads | Order from Amazon


(Full Disclosure: Any books purchased from Amazon through the links on this page will result in a small commission to me.) 

3 comments:

  1. I liked Linger a whole lot more than Shiver. The addition of Cole's character was refreshing and realistic, not so lovey-dovey like Sam and Grace.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with you! If Linger had dealt only with Sam and Grace again, I'm sure the series would have lost some fans. Cole and Isabelle were amazing new points of view!! :)
    - Alyssa

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this series! Great review!! :D

    Thanks for stopping by my blog! Have a great week! I'm a new follower :]

    NoraBell, The Bookery

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me happy!!