March 2, 2011

Book Review of "Fire" by Kristin Cashore

______________________________________________________

Title: Fire
Author: Kristin Cashore
Classification: YA Fiction, Fantasy
Source: The public library

Overall Grade: 
A+
Would I read it again? 
Why, yes!
Would I recommend it to others? 
Yes. Please read it. 
______________________________________________________

Summary (from Goodreads)

Beautiful creatures called monsters live in the Dells. Monsters have the shape of normal animals: mountain lions, dragonflies, horses, fish. But the hair or scales or feathers of monsters are gorgeously colored-- fuchsia, turquoise, sparkly bronze, iridescent green-- and their minds have the power to control the minds of humans.

Seventeen-year-old Fire is the last remaining human-shaped monster in the Dells. Gorgeously monstrous in body and mind but with a human appreciation of right and wrong, she is hated and mistrusted by just about everyone, and this book is her story.
______________________________________________________

My Thoughts: 

Fire is described as a companion book to Cashore's Graceling. It's a prequel to the first novel in Cashore's Seven Kingdoms Trilogy, which is to be completed with the publication of Bitterblue in September of 2011.

But in reality, Fire is its own force. It does not rely on the popularity of Graceling. It does not rely on the beautiful cover or the premise of the story. Fire is the story of one of the most wonderful protagonists I have ever read about: Fire, the monster-girl, the person who, against the odds, fought persecution and prejudice to find her place in a world where she is the last of her kind. A place where people want to do terrible things to her.

I absolutely love this book. As I wrote about on my writing blog here, this book totally captured me. It inspired to me to do something better with my own writing. This is because Cashore is an extremely talented writer. Her voice is her own and her characters are nearly three dimensional.

The story and plot in Fire was stronger to me than Graceling, but what was extraordinary in both of Cashore's works is her sense of character. The characters are real. They progress throughout the book. They develop into stronger people throughout the story, something that I find missing from a great many Young Adult novels.

Please read this! If you loved Graceling, you will love this more. And if you love romance, you will love Fire.
______________________________________________________

Overall Grade: 
A+
Would I read it again? 
Why, yes!
Would I recommend it to others? 
Yes. Please read it.

9 comments:

  1. Ok, so I'm really not into fantasy, but you've inspired me to try this one. :) Thanks! Also, I LOVE YA and children's books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha, thank Mo! I'm telling my sister that doesn't really do fantasy either to read it too. It's awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Really loved this book as well! I liked it better than her first one (I liked them both). The only thing I would have liked more of is playing up the romance:-) but with that said it was amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I loved this book as well! I found it a lot more enjoyable than Graceling to be honest. Fire is such an awesome character!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ashley and Cialina:
    Thanks for stopping by! And yes, I loved Graceling, but I loved Fire more. It just seemed like the story had better flow.
    -Alyssa :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. i'm a new GFC follower! love the blog and i'm excited to read more! i need to read this series, i'm surprised i haven't yet!

    follow me?!

    http://lindsaycummingsblog.blogspot.com/2011/03/book-covers-make-or-break.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think this is one of those YA fantasy novels that are total stand-outs, I am in LOVE with Kristin Cashore's writing! While i liked Graceling more than Fire, I think they've both got some kick-ass heroines :) great review!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know there are a lot of people that like Graceling more than Fire... but I felt more connected to Fire's character than Katsa. Then again, I was also very invested in Katsa too, because Cashore is such an amazing writer!! Can't wait for Bitterblue this Fall :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great review! I just finished this book and I loved it. I myself liked Fire more than Graceling too, I guess I just liked the story better.

    Eveline's Books

    ReplyDelete

Comments make me happy!!